Polyshield is a modern, high-performance, sprayed, two component pure polyurea elastomer. The material is based on various amino-polyester resins, amino-resin and MDI prepolymers, providing a flexible, durable and monolithic waterproofing membrane boasting truly efficient resistance to water and chemical activity.
Polyshield is characterised by high abrasion resistance, that’s why it is added into the armory of protective materials as waterproofing and corrosion-resistant coating in heavy and mining industries to prevent abrasive wear.
Polyurea-based Polyshield features
- 100% solvent-free material
- Unlike other materials, polyshield offers hydrophobic properties; therefore, it reacts poorly with wet or cold surfaces it is applied to.
- Larger gel time allows deeper penetration and impregnation.
- Extreme temperatures resistance (121°C+) with an ability to sustain short 150°C loads.
- High abrasion resistance
- Higher strength in comparison with the majority of analogs
- Class 1 Flammability, National Fire Protection Association USA (NFPA) compliant
Spheres of application
The material has been successfully applied in numerous types of residential and commercial facilities; Polyshield is primarily used for:
- Protection of steel from abrasion
- Waterproofing (swimming pools, roofwaterproofing, sewage tanks, dams , tunnels, barges and etc.)
- Replacing or repairing sheet membrane coatings
- Waterproofing and corrosion protection of steel tanks, silos and pipelines
- Protective elastomer for polystyrene
- Protective coating for asbestos cement sheets , lead paint and a range of hazardous materials
- Protective coating for truck bodies, cars, dump cars; roofcoating.
Britannia Paints Company, a nationwide recognised UK manufacturer, even provides roof coating and roof waterproofing materials for defensive industry, which confirms the fact of unsurpassed reliability of polyshield-based products.
General Instructions For Applying Polyshield
To significantly improve adhesion, Polyshield must be applied to clean, dry and solid surface that contains no loose particles or other 3rd party substances. Laying undercoat may be needed to prepare the ground properly. To guarantee proper results, consulting a technical specialist for specific recommendations on the choice of undercoating and substrate preparation procedure may be required.
Polyshield can be sprayed in a wide range of ambient temperatures and types of surfaces; thus, it may be used in residential structures roof waterproofing, mining facilities roofcoating and etc. The restrictions are predominantly applied to equipment and its deposition parameters to ensure a certain pressure and temperature. The material is recommended to be sprayed in all directions (north-south/east-west) to provide uniform thickness.
Polyshield applying equipment
Polyshield is sprayed via two-component nebulisers, the appliances with accurate dosing of A and B components in the mixing ratio of 1:1 that provide minimum dynamic pressure of 2000 psi (13.9 mpa) with components heating to 175°F (79°C). Mentioned further are the systems utilised by the professional Polyshield coating firms: REACTOR E-XP1, REACTOR E-XP2, REACTOR H-XP2, REACTOR E-XP3 by GRACO company with working pressure of 17.2 to 24.0 MPa, capacities from 3.8 to 9.5 l/min and radiator/engine capacity from 10.2 to 20.4 kW. A true to type installation represents a complex comprised of a dispenser compressor, feed pump, high pressure spray gun and a recirculation system.
The components are recommended to be heated up to 160-170°F (71-76°C) approximately. The temperature of the hoses should not exceed 160-170°F (71-76 ° C), while the hoses thermometer, mounted near the gun, should reflect the minimum temperature of 145-155°F (63-68°C).